THE PALACES

Among the buildings of historical interest are Palazzo Pezzotti, Palazzo La Greca, Palazzo Schifino, Palazzo Perrone from the 17th century and Palazzo Trifoglio built between the 17th and 18th centuries, including:

  • PALAZZO PERRONE /SENISE
    One of the buildings belonging to a notable family from the 18th century, the largest of the historic buildings in the village. Built on three levels, it was originally a single building with over 60 rooms. On the ground floor on Via XXIV Maggio there is a valuable tuff stone portal, made by stonecutters from Fuscaldo. Around the portal there is a decoration that recalls squared ashlars, while the main floor is marked by high balconies with finely decorated frames and railings. The building has a second entrance on Via Fiume with a stone portal. The two doors give access to small internal courtyards. In the 18th and 19th centuries it belonged to the Perrone family, a rich landowner family whose members were prelates, lawyers and notaries. In the second half of the 17th century it was the home of Don Antonio Perrone, a Bourbon notary. One of the descendants was Don Luigi Perrone, an abbot devoted to the Madonna del Carmine who every Wednesday had bread prepared to give to the people. He commissioned the restoration of the canvas of the Madonna del Carmine with the souls of Purgatory, still preserved in the Church of San Giuseppe. The Perrone family was very important for the history of Santa Domenica Talao between the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century, as supporters of the Bourbon kingdom and strongly opposed to French domination. They were part of the anti-Napoleonic resistance, thus earning the nickname of "den of bandits".
  • SCHIFFINO PALACE
    Private palace, dating back to the 18th century, located behind the Mother Church. It has two entrances, the main one on Corso Umberto I° with a portal in local stone decorated in bas-relief. The façade is marked by tall framed windows, the corners of the building are decorated with corner pilasters with stone bases and capitals. A second stone portal is located on Via F. Pappaterra. The building still belongs to the Schiffino family, a notable family from Santa Domenica Talao, owner of very large land holdings. The founder of the family, who lived between 1700 and 1800, was Don Saverio Schiffino, judge at the supreme court of justice of King Ferdinand of Bourbon.
  • PALAZZO LA GRECA
    The building has three levels and its main entrance is on Via Veneto. It has a smooth gray stone portal with simplified workmanship on the arch's springs. The building, which also belonged to the La Greca family, was the nineteenth-century residence of the lawyer Don Benigno La Greca. His first son was Don Giuseppe La Greca (born 1839), philosopher and poet, a student of De Santis. Among his works are an essay “Christ and Mary: response to the two stanzas of D’Annunzio against the Cross and the Virgin Mary” and “The ideal of Mary”. Another descendant of this family was Vicente La Greca, known as Murillo La Greca born in Brazil in 1899, a famous and important Brazilian painter and professor. In the city of Recife today there is a museum dedicated to Professor Murillo La Greca and his artistic production.
     
  • PALAZZO LONGO
    A magnate house in Via Fontana della Terra, which belonged to one of the oldest families of Santa Domenica Talao. It was Don Giovanni Longo himself, with his sister Dalmazia, who wanted the construction of the Chapel of San Giovanni Evangelista, recently reopened for worship after restoration work.